Monday, September 7, 2009

A day with Virginia Paradise




This weekend I spent announcing a three day horse show in Harlansburg, Pennsylvania. The Mid-East Horsemen's Association held their Annual Labor Day weekend show.
Always a good show, I am fortunate to have been called back for the second year to announce for them.
As was the case last year, the show Steward was Ms. Virginia Paradise. A knowledgable, kind, gracious lady (and I do mean Lady!) who is the "keeper of the rules" and the "enforcer of the rules" and the fount of knowledge.
What a pleasure and a privilege to have the opportunity to reminisce with this wonderful woman. She and her family have shown horses for more years than I can remember, and they were famous for the Terrific Parade (American Saddlebred) horses. They had the best and they had the best Parade Ponies also. Unbeatable, except for once, they were known all over the country for the quality of their livestock, and the beauty of their equipment and rider's outfits.
It is rare that I get to see Parade Horses anymore, but there were a couple at the show and they were fun to watch. But.....once a cool looking Saddlebred came into the ring in another division that had snappy, poised and timelapse motion, Virginia would say "they would make a good Parade Horse:.
When we parted after the show, Virginia leaned over, gave me a hug and kiss and said it was always good to work with me.
It was then that she climbed down the stairs out of the announcer's booth where we had spent three days together, got into her beautiful Cadillac, and drove away.
Virginia is 84 years young, and I do mean young. I should be so lucky to be doing at that age like Virginia does.
Her daughter Amy is the best horse show organist that I have had the pleasure to hear, and she can "flat ass play"!
Virginia has forgotten more than most horse folks will ever know, and I cherish the opportunity to work with, and to work with again!
God love ya' Virginia, 'cause I know I sure do!

1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

Oh good, I was hoping you'd write about Virginia -- now we all got to spend the day with her. Thanks!