Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Little Mare that stole my heart...Dumas Little Darlin', Champion Tennessee Walking Horse Mare

She was fourteen years old, and came back to Valley City to spend her much deserved retirement.  A shy and aloof mare not necessarily wanting to be handled or caught to halter or groom.  But as it came to pass, I made huge strides with her.  Never rushing, always touching her a I called "Hey Miss Reba" and slowly drew my hand up to her head to place her blue halter on.  I would always reward her with a piece of apple or carrot.  At first she was not interested in the treats, but would take them if I placed them in her feed bucket on top of her feed.  She was a finicky eater but after having the equine dentist come for a few visits, her eating became very good and her ribs covered over and her coat was sleek.  The equine chiropractor was very kind to her and came every three months to do an adjustment on her hips, pelvis, spine and neck and shoulders as well as her legs.  I loved that dear little soul and she finally got to the point that I could walk up to her outside in pasture and put a lead on and walk her back into the barn at night.  A little over two years ago she came home and always would stand outside on the pasture side of Gold Star's Stall window after she was done grazing for the afternoon. They were in fact good buddies and you could count on seeing her just standing at rest outside of his window until he was let out into the pasture.

A very strange occurance happened during the night.  Gold Star escaped from his stall with both stall guards in place...I don't know how, but he must have been out all night.  When I arrived at the barn this morning to feed the three boys I found him standing over Reba's body.  He looked back at me and did not move.  Very touching and very spiritual too!  Horses have souls, and it is up to us to nurture them.


August 27, 2012 8:00 p.m.




Sad night last night when I went to the barn (next door). Reba was down in her stall and there was no getting her up. I called four or five friends and didn't get any answers on their phones, just voicemail. I kneeled down next to her and realized that this was the last time I would try to help her up. There was no strength left in her body to push or get in a upright position. The arthritis ...
had taken it's toll. She apprently stumbled turning in her stall and went down in the doorway. She looked up at me as if to say, "I'm done, let me go". It was a hard thing to do, calling to reach her owner who was in center ring at the Walking Horse Celebration in Tennessee last night. A mutual friend got in touch with him and he called me immediately saying "I'm sorry you have to be there to do this". I called Dr. Wiley who had given his equine practice up, but thankfully said he would come right over to administer the drugs to allow her to cross the Rainbow Bridge and be free of anymore struggling. I sat next to her holding her head up and fed her little bites of carrot until he came. She went peacefully as I stroked her head. She was a grand mare, winning many many ribbons and producing four foals for Bruce and Linda. Sweet Dreams Reba, and a peaceful goodnight!




August 28, 2012, 9:30 a.m.





Reba has been laid to rest in the corner of the pasture nearest to Charvat's property. I wanted her there because it is in the shade of a large tree.


Dan and Dave Crocker came almost right away. Sarah came from dropping Daniel off at school and she was the one to take off Reba's halter and she climbed down into the grave and spread a clean sheet on the bottom so she wouldn't be laying on the dirt, and then she positioned her legs so they would be ready to run. Then she covered her with another clean sheet and clean horse blanket and gave her the two apples I brought out for her journey.

Jerry came over in case we needed help and Frank, Maggie's husband came too. It was very professionally done and now She is quiet, peaceful and free of pain.

God's speed Reba, God's speed.

2 comments:

=^..^= said...

Just read these 3 posts and found myself so touched I am still sobbing. Not only for the sadness of a beautiful mare dying, but for the respect she was given by everyone.

As a horse lover from my earliest memory, I have always had an inexplicable affinity with them, and of course, always wanted one of my own. Unfortunately that wish never came true, but I've always connected with special equine souls over the years.

When it is my turn to cross over I hope to meet your little Reba at Rainbow Bridge.

Jo Ann said...

You are such a good writer. Your heart shows in every word. Thank you so much for touching all of us with your stories of much-loved horses, dogs and cats. This one is a keeper.