Thursday, April 29, 2010

Like sand through an hourglass...







...go the days of our lives.
Our friend Shirley Nowak had a birthday this week. She is either 82 or 83, near as I can figure.
She and I were talking a couple of weeks ago and she said something to me that really struck a chord.
"I am going to spend my money now". ?? "Another woman on my street died yesterday".
I got to thinking about that statement and realized that I am tired of putting off till the proverbial tomorrow, and I am going to take the time, and make the effort to make something out of each and every day. Like New Year's Resolutions, I know these good intentions will pass like so many flowers after they have stayed in the vase too long.
Hmmm, what can I do that would make somebody's day special.
I know, let's have a surprise party for Shirley. I called her and invited her to lunch for her Birthday. I also emailed as many friends as I had email addresses for, both old and new and invited them to lunch. I knew there were so many that would not be able to come so I asked them to send a birthday card to Shirley, but send it to my address. About a dozen cards arrived by today and also flowers, a beautiful patio pot of Salmon colored geraniums from her dear friend in Florida, assorted lovely things to show she was remembered, and lots of folks showed up for lunch. Some even showed up after lunch to join her for dessert.
I had a ball! We enjoyed lovely rolls, chicken salad, ham salad, benectine spread, egg salad, fresh fruit, scones with lemon curd and strawberry jam, assorted relishes, cheeses with crackers and grapes, two birthday cakes, pastries, and cookies.
What a great day it was. My daughter Sarah said to me "do you suppose she will cry"? "I don't know" said I.
Well, she did! She got choked up, hugged me and said thank you. I called to Sarah in the other room to come into the kitchen and see what Shirley was doing. She came running in and saw Shirley cry. She shouted "Yea, we love you Shirley"!
Most of the guests stayed until after three o'clock, and many stayed till four o'clock. Shirley was the last to leave. She hugged me again and said "this really meant a lot to me".
I guess that about covers it!

1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

God love you. As much as it meant to Shirley I know you got the most out of it. You are a good friend. Neither of you will ever forget that day. xo