Sunday, September 5, 2010

This ain't no Dog and Pony Show!

What a week I have had! It has been my good fortune to be hired to announce the Canfield Fair's Pony Show. My first!
I started work on Wednesday and today is my last performance section.

This is the largest county fair in the state and people come from all over the country with their RV's and camping trailers and camp out for the whole fair. Incredible sight to behold! Several thousand camping vehicles parked like sardines, replete with little fences and patio furniture, patio lights, flags, knomes, flowers..you name it. Unbelievable.
I am awed each time I turn in to the fairgrounds to head up to my "official fair official" fair parking place located next the pony barns. The Fairgrounds consist of I believe 387 acres, and every single blade of grass or piece of pavement or gravel path are covered with fair paraphanalia. Over 700 food vendors alone. I have announced Welsh pony classes, shetland pony classes (both standard and modern) Haflingers, grade ponies, Hackneys, teams, pairs, hitches of 4, 6, 8 and 10. Lots of spit and polish, chrome and leather, brass and sparkling painted finishes. These exhibitors are serious about their sport and it has been a very interesting and educational experience. I am working with show staff who have been coming here for 50 years. It is the 164th running of the Fair.

These folks know how to have fun and they take their sport very seriously. They are sounding like they might want to hire me again for next year....so bring it!

No comments: