Thursday, November 19, 2009

How's your bird?



Thanksgiving dinner growing up….
Let’s see…. Memorable?
Must have been or I wouldn’t be remembering it. The turkey was not what I refer to today as "roasted" Rather it was "steamed". I know, that sounds bizarre, but that is the only explanation I can come up with.

The big bird was stuffed with a wet, wet mixture of bread, onions and eggs. Maybe herbs were used, but I don’t remember. Then the bird was placed in an electric "Roaster" the night before the meal, but sometimes it went into the roaster in the wee hours of Thanksgiving Day. Anyway, the bird was cooked all day, and sometimes all night. No brown crusty skin and certainly nothing that looks like the picture above. I did love the turkey though. I had no educated palate and the once a year bird was delightful to someone whose meals consisted of "spaghetti made with tomato soup", pot roast, again cooked all day, chicken in various forms, mostly UN-memorable and eggs, biscuits and fried fish.

The things I remember most fondly about that Holiday were the side dishes like celery, olives and cranberry sauce. I only saw those items grace the table once a year. They did not appear at Christmas dinner. No that was a "Ham" day!
No, the turkey was the big deal back then. And the "sandwich" was my favorite "cut of the bird"!
When I married Tim, we went to Tim’s sister Marion’s home for the holiday meals. It was just the way it was, and I never questioned it. I would offer to help in the kitchen and it was by watching Marion cook that my horizons were expanded. "Roast" Vs "Electric Roaster". Big difference. She made stuffing for the bird with only Pepperidge Farm Brand white bread. She only used butter/margarine as the moisture, cooking onions and celery in at least four sticks, adding fresh sage leaves (I did not know sage grew like a plant) and she meticulously crumbled the bread a certain way to get even hearty breadcrumbs and pieces.
I watched and learned.

The turkey was slathered in margarine on it’s skin and then the little foil papers that encased the margarine in the package were laid gently on the surface of the bird as it roasted to prevent excessive browning. Resting the bird was another step I knew nothing about. When the bird comes out of the oven, let it sit covered with foil (actually tented would be a better description) and cover with a towel. This resting allows the juices to stay in the meat before carving.
Marion’s husband, Don Murray would be the proud and skillful carver of the bird, and Tim learned this special skill from him. Slicing gently through the breast in thin even slices meant "tender" and moist. No big chunks, hunks and slabs for him. No, no, just nice white moist slices to adorn your plate. Hmmm! I can close my eyes and see the bird now!

After Marion moved to England with little Brook I became the one to cook the Holiday meals. What I did not know, I faked. What I faked miraculously worked. Lots of trial and error involved, but my skills grew and grew. The fact that I love food and that cooking food for my family and friends means that I am showing my love adds the bonus to the long and labor intensive two day Holiday cooking spree.

Sometimes I feel like a marathon runner in a huge race. But the fatigue disappears when the voice at the head of the table says "Can someone pass me the gravy so I can put it on a piece of bread"?

I now cook three turkeys for Thanksgiving dinner. One to carve at the dinner table and two that will be cooked the previous day and then skillfully carved by Tim and the meat placed into packages for family and friends to take home for their own sandwich. All of the side dishes, especially the "stuffing" are made in abundance so guests don’t have to say "no thanks, I’ve had enough as they gaze on a side dish with only a few crumbs left in the bowl. Doubles are good. We once stopped to visit at a family member’s home on Christmas Day, and they were not expecting us. So we were asked to sit in the living room while they ate their holiday meal. We went home and had Campbell’s soup for dinner. Never again will anyone come to my home and not have enough to eat. Expected guest, or unexpected guest!

The only problem with going away from home for a holiday meal is the fact that there are no leftovers to pick at when you get back home. So, the birds are in abundance at our house. (And the Hams, and the Roast Beefs etc)

Rewards may be given out in Heaven, but my reward is here on earth come Holiday Meal Time!

"Dinner’s Ready"!

My two most very favorite words!

No comments: