Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Women

Mary Keating is a friend of mine. She has been playing bridge in groups that I belong to in the Medina area for a long time.She was also my two children's elementary school teacher. So I have know her for a long time. Her daughter Ann was my real estate partner for many years also. Mary told me a story last night at Bridge that made me cry.
See what it does for you.

Mary recently attended a Catholic Women's Retreat that had about 20 women in attendance. Many clinicians and speakers over two days. One of the presenters spoke of "Holy Women".

Not the "Saints" as such but women who did Holy things. After the speaker concluded she asked the audience to take out their notebooks and write the name of a "Holy Woman" in their books.
Mary did not even hesitate for a moment. She wrote "Ann Reusch" in her book. Ann is her oldest child and a devoted daughter to Mary. Always kind, considerate, thoughtful and giving to Mary. Ann spends a great amount of time with her Mom and Mary really appreciates the time sacrifices that that Ann, a mother of three grown boys, and Grandmother of her first grandchild makes to Mary.

Mary stopped to see her daughter after the retreat to tell her the highlights. After chatting for a while, Mary told Ann of the "Holy Women" story. Ann asked her Mother to show her the notebook that Mary had written Ann's name in.

Ann looked at the page thoughtfully and said "If that question were asked of me, I would write the name of Judy Von Duyke in the book".

I was awestruck! Hunbled!

1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

I didn't know where this was going but as I was reading I was also thinking of whose name I would have written. Judy Von Duyke. xo