Monday, June 7, 2010

A bicycle built for one

Last week, my "sister in law" (she and Uncle Don Murray never actually had a formal ceremony) came out for Memorial Day "burgers". I went to pick her up since her car died in early February and Uncle Don's car which she has been paying on for almost 3 full years now is tied up in probate. So Monica is "wheel less"!

While we were driving I asked if she had a bike "I used to have one, but not anymore" she said.
Monica is a very independent woman and she now has been forced to ask for a ride to work in Olmsted Falls or she walks to work at the Dry Cleaners in Berea from her apartment.

Yesterday I was out in our barn looking at the progress that Tim had made adding styrafoam insulation to the walls when my eye caught sight of "the bike".

I had clients who moved from Valley City several years ago. They were very active physically (John has sinced passed) and they rode bikes all over. When they moved, they gave their bikes to Tim and me. We have never used them however, and I saw an opportunity leaning up against the barn wall. "Hmmm, I wonder if Monica would like this bike?"
Well, yes in fact she would like it. So, I dusted it off a bit, picked up the helmet that was given with it, and tucked it into the back of the truck and took off for Berea. I still was wearing barn clothes and I did not plan to stay, just drop off the bike. When I got there Monica was sitting outside the building on a stone ledge waiting.

I pulled the bike from the rear of the truck and stopped for a moment. The red bike was carrying it's brand name front and center, I had not noticed before, but it is a "Murray"!
I pointed that out to Monica and she did not say anything at first. After a brief pause, she looked up at me and smiled saying "then it should be a good one"!

I showed her the in's and out's of the bike, handed her the helmet, asked if she had a secure place to keep it etc. She replied that she would keep it in the apartment, and that she would go to the hardware store today and buy a lock.

As I got back into the truck I stopped to look out the sideview mirror and sure enough.....there she went, helmet in place and riding off into the sunset!

What a nice feeling!

1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

Isn't that great -- as much as she loved the bike you just know you came away feeling better than she did. xo