Sunday, June 13, 2010

College Roomates!




Those four years of college seem so very long ago, yet they seem just like yesterday! Sarah's Ohio University College Roomate was Jullie Summers of Fairport N.Y., outside Rochester.
It was too far for Julie to go all the way to New York on short college weekends home, so she came to our house. I remember one Thanksgiving when we invited Julie's parents to join us for a Holiday weekend, since they were 6 or 7 hours away, and could come part way to Valley City to meet up with their daughter. Sarah told Julie to invite her parents to stay at our house "Out of the question, they will never stay at your house, they will stay at a motel"! said Julie. "Bet you $100 they will stay" said Sarah. "No Way" said Julie.
Well they stayed, and they came back many, many times and stayed. Holidays and short breaks
were wonderful with our "second daughter" and her folks, Jim and Sandra Summers, all one big family. I remember also a time when the girls came here and friends from school joined them. They were all going up to Cedar Point, so I got up early and fixed breakfast for them. Pancakes, French Toast, Bacon, Sausage, Biscuits and Gravy, fresh fruit, juice, scrambled eggs, etc. The table was filled with breakfast foods, both hot and cold. A big spread for 8 or 9 people. Two of the boys were from Guam. (I think) Their parents were both heart surgeons, and both boys attended OU together. When they came into the kitchen they looked at the buffet and said "No Rice?" (I didn't know it was a joke, so I said "You want rice? I'll fix rice"! Duh.
One such holiday (I think it was Easter or Thanksgiving) I asked Julie to get the good napkins out and help set the table. She stopped for a second, went to get the napkins and came into the kitchen and said "I don't even know where the good napkins are kept at home"! That has become a family joke. The same weekend she was overheard as saying "I'll be happy when all these people go home" We love her to death!
Julie married Steve Johnson, and has lived in Downers Grove, outside Chicago for quite a while now, and has son Alex (to be six in August) daughter Holly (to be for in April) and Sarah and Kevin have Daniel who will be six in February.
We miss them coming for holidays and breaks. It kept us feeling and acting young.
Julie and Steve and the kids stopped for three hours on their way home from visiting family in Rochester. She left me a voicemail on my cell phone that said "Hi, we'll be home in about 45 minutes"!
That says it all.....except she never paid up the $100 bet she lost!

1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

What a wonderful story -- I'll bet this last one was a great visit too!