Friday, December 3, 2010

Angels we have heard

below. That was Uncle Don. He was so cool!
I have a letter he wrote to Nathan for the occassion of Nathan's birth. One of the most beautiful group of words I have ever read. He was Nathan's God Father, and he loved that child.

He passed in January after a long confinement at
Parkview Villas in Middleburg Hts. He had a very severe stroke that broke his body, but not his mind or wit. When he was diagnosed with lung cancer last fall, his response was "Naw, I'm not doing any of that treatment". And he didn't.

As I prepare for the Christmas holiday festivities
my thoughts will go to the empty chair at the
dining room table. Uncle Don loved life and he
was a long time family member sitting second seat
from Tim on the left. It was he who taught the proper
way to carve a turkey, goose, duck, piglet etc. I will never
smell the scent of banana between the layers of chocolate
cake without thinking of Uncle Don. He loved that kind of
cake. He called it "Garage Cake". The smell of the bananas
reminded him of his youth when banana oil was used for
cleaning up tools in the garage.

This year when I bake the "Christmas Birthday Cake" (I always
bake a birthday cake for Jesus Birthday) I think it should be a
"Garage Cake" in memory of Uncle Don.

Photo shows the last Christmas celebration at our
house. Monica and her Santa hat leaning over
Don's shoulder. Loving to be with him until the
end.

Merry Christmas Uncle Don, we miss you so!

1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

What a wonderful tribute. Any family lucky enough to have an "Uncle Don" is a lucky family. Definitely bake a garage cake this year.