Tuesday, December 14, 2010

An ordinary day......not!



This snow photo could be of my driveway yesterday.
I was sitting on the sofa reading a magazine at 6:15 yesterday morning when someone appeared on my patio and knocked on the door. It was our friend Barry, the man who plows our driveway when it snows. Yesterday was a "snow" day and often Barry will stop for coffee in the early hours of a snow day in between plowing neighbors' drives.
I let him in and he announced that his truck slide off of the drive next door and did we have a tractor. No, but I have a four-wheel drive pickup truck, maybe that would help. When I went out to look at the truck there it rested at an odd angle sliding into the ditch that ran alongside Pam and Jerry's asphalt driveway. Barry said there was sheet of ice under the snow and as soon as the truck started to slide he knew it was not going to be a pretty sight.
I almost had him pulled out with my truck, but his tow rope broke. He was dangerously close to the utility pole and guide wire so we decided not to continue with a new tow strap or chain.
He ended up calling his neighbor who owns a towing company. While Barry waited, I fixed him bacon, eggs and toast, and we sat and hashed over the weather and the real estate market.
Soon enough the tow truck came and Barry was back on the road again. Barry is always in a hurry in snowy weather as he has lots of driveways to clear. But, mention coffee and the possibility of breakfast at Tim and Judy's....well, he can spare a few extra minutes.
Glad to oblige!

No comments: