Thursday, March 15, 2012

Today I met someone

Today I met Christine.  Let me back up a bit.  Sarah had to haul an Arabian Gelding to Brecksville to his new owner, Stacey Giere, co- owner of Maple Crest Farm.  All was uneventful, perfect trip, no problems.  Even though the gelding was not an experienced traveler, he has matured living as a boarder at Sarah and Kevin's Farm and trusts Sarah even he may be cautious.

He arrived unscathed, walked out of the trailer, around the barn, moved into his new stall, with just a tiny bit of anxiety and then started munching his hay.

We are longtime friends with the owners of the farm, Meredith and Stacey (mother and daughter dynamic duo) and so we took the opportunity to visit with them for a bit before they had to get back to work and Sarah and I had to get back to the farm.

One of the owners said "I want to introduce you to someone, she's new here and she is our inspiration".

I turned to look and was shocked.  I tried not to show my shock, but I was sincerely shocked.  We said hello to one another and Sarah asked how long she had been a participant at the farm.  "I came here in January I think."  She had been riding on the trail with one of the owners that day and was tidying up, waiting for her ride to show up.

She had been involved in a house fire.  She had no hands,  two prosthetic legs and burn scars all over her neck, face, head and the arms that were showing out of her tee shirt.  Bad, bad scars. 

She had been riding.  She also is learning how to drive a horse hitched to a carriage.  She said "I prefer to ride in the back (navigator's seat)!

She had no hands.  She had two artificial legs.

She made me so humble.  She had the most beautiful eyes and smile.   "Nice to meet you, I have to go now".

And I am complaining about what again?

1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

What a humbling experience. Some people have so much to overcome and do it valiantly. While I still have to deal with this hangnail.