Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Will to Win


I couldn't sleep last night. One of those nights where my little brain was rockin' and rollin' (I should have stopped at the first American Idol Replay of Adam Lambert) so I was out on the
couch flopping like a fish out of water.
Chasing through the late night channels was the only option. Well, I could have done laundry, housecleaning, groom the dog, any number of things, but no..I chose to flip from a horizontal pose.
There was an autobiographical black and white movie on the life of golfer, Ben Hogan. Wow!
What a phenom! After his near fatal automobile crash, he spent 11 months recovering and pushing himself beyond the limits of man to play golf again. His legs had been crushed in the accident, and blood clots traveling from his legs to his heart threatened his life. Emergency surgery left him alive, but unable to walk.
But he did walk, and walk and walk. Walking around his bed around and around. He pushed himself, and never gave up because he wanted to play golf again, and wanted to win!
He played and won the Championship Tournament in constant pain. He would play a round of golf in the competition, then throw-up, then went back and played again.
The movie about his life "Follow the Sun" was one I remember from my youth. Glenn Ford played Hogan and Hogan himself was a constant consultant on the set. The tag of the movie had to be added as Ben won the Tournament after the movie was "in the can". So the ending of the movie shows the cover of Time Magazine with the caption "winner etc."
I don't know anything in my lifetime that has pushed me to those lengths.
I wonder if I will ever be challenged to go beyond my capabilities to succeed.


1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

Something tells me that movie didn't put you back to sleep. Try MASH reruns.