Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Monarch V (Huckleberry Bey X Moska)

I have had a love affair with this Arabian stallion for a very long time.

I first met him at his home in St. Clairsville, Ohio when then owner Mike Ladyga invited me to his farm to visit and see the horses. The bright bay stallion was lead out of his stall and into the indoor arena. Mike took Monarch's halter off and the horse took off at a high rate of speed. Circling the arena, trotting, prancing and showing off like he was giving an audition. I knew I was in the presence of greatness.

He was bold yet gentle. He was not considered "large" for an Arabian, but his attitude projected his stature another two hands tall. It was love at first sight!

I had the pleasure of seeing him perform in a halter class at the Buckeye Show one year, with the Stachowski Training Farm staff at the lead. He was spectacular to say the least!

He was a prominent sire. He sired the filly "Lucsious Lorraine" that Sarah bred, trained and showed to the Sport Horse National Carriage Driving Turnout Champion last September, as well as her full sister "Peekaboo Larue". He also was the sire of my first Monarch filly, "Monarch Butterfly".

I lost track of him for a few years but found him again in Columbus at a horse Show. He was there with his new owners, Doug and Carrie Schane.

As Carrie will tell you, she never dreamed in a million years that she would ever own a horse of this caliber. The story of how Carrie came back together with Monarch is fairytale like at best. Ultimately, Carrie found him in Florida, for sale and living at Rohara Arabians.

Monarch came home to Schane Show Horses stables in Adena, Ohio and lived there until just a few weeks ago. He suffered a bad attack of laminitis, surgery, rehab etc., but in the end, he could no longer endure the pain and the disintegration of his hooves.

The painful and tearful decision was made to relieve his pain and end his suffering. He was buried next to the barns and his burial mound is covered with mulch, beautiful colorful mums and shrubs.

I visited his grave last week. It took me a long time to build up the courage to drive to Adena and say goodbye.

Goodbye dear friend. I will remember the beautiful dark eyes that would look deep into my soul.

Somewhere over the great divide, beyond the furthest shore, the beloved Monarch V has taken his final ride and found peace at Heaven's door.

4 comments:

Jo Ann said...

Oh Judy, I am so sorry. He was a real beauty. I know this loss was hard on you and Carrie. I believe with all my heart you'll see him again one day.

Elizabeth91183 said...

I own an Arabian gelding by Monarch V I met Carrie at the Buckeye show one year when a trainer introduced us since I owned Kingsberry. I've always wanted a video of him...do you know where I can find one? I do have about 6 pictures of him.

Unknown said...

Judy,
I am Mike Ladyga's niece. I have several photos of Monarch and a VHS tape of him. He was an amazing horse. I was a few years old when Monarch came into our lives. I would go in his stall and pet him and no one had to worry if he would hurt me as a small child. I was glad that Carrie was able to get him and spend his last few years with him. Mike did not deserve to have him in the end. I miss him dearly.

Unknown said...

I have one of his kids!!!!