Friday, November 19, 2010

The Mitten Tree


Yesterday I picked Daniel up from Daycare. In the foyer there is a small Christmas Tree, decorated with perhaps two dozen green and red paper cutouts of mittens. (Most images that I can picture of a mitten tree contain hats, gloves and mittens that are "brought" to the location and hung on the tree) Each mitten bears the name of a child, the child's age, gender, and ID number and a "Christmas Wish".


A couple of weeks ago I took a mitten off of the tree and tucked it into my pocket. When I was at Von Maur, I purchased a sweater, women's size small for a 12 year old girl. It was fun picking something out and I was fortunate to find a nice one on a sale rack. Yesterday before I picked Daniel up, I wrapped the gift with wrapping paper and ribbon, placed a tag with the proper identification written on it and returned it to the school. As I entered the lobby I glanced at the tree. There seemed to be the same number of mittens hanging on it as there were two weeks ago. Hmmmm.


When Daniel and I were ready to leave the school we stopped and looked at the tree together.

"Hey Daniel let's take another mitten off of the tree"
"Maybe we can find someone else to buy a gift for another child"
"Okay" said he.
On the short ride home he said "I know, maybe Linda can buy a present".


So, when we got out of the car at home, we walked across the driveway, across Linda's backyard and into her house. Her husband was in his recliner watching the news, her two grandchildren were completing a craft project on her kitchen table and Linda was in the office at the other end of the house gathering construction paper (I thought she looked a little harried as she was the hostess for Bridge in just a couple of hours, when eight ladies would arrive for cards, snacks, desserts and gabbing.) Daniel walked up to Linda and said "Would you buy a doll for this little girl for Christmas from the mitten tree?" A startled Linda paused what she was doing for a moment....and said "Sure".


Daniel left and walked back home, even though he wanted to stay and participate with Claire and Ethan in their "Teepee" making craft.


This was a warm moment for me .... and I'm sure for Linda too.


There are lots of mittens and angel cutouts bearing children's names hanging on trees in our communities today. Grocery stores, retail stores , schools and churches


Please stop and pick up a mitten or an angel or maybe two.

Warmth is what we all need at this time of year.

1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

Warmth comes in so many fabrics, shapes and sizes, doesn't it? Is there a way for your readers to contribute to the Mitten Tree? I haven't seen anything like that here in Wayne County.