Thursday, November 18, 2010

That being said......


Rainbows can be observed whenever there are water drops in the air and sunlight shining from behind at a low altitude angle. The most spectacular rainbow displays happen when half the sky is still dark with raining clouds and the observer is at a spot with clear sky in the direction of the sun. The result is a luminous rainbow that contrasts with the darkened background.
My friend Ruthie is here from her home in Texas (well actually, "here" is her real home, she just lives in Texas). She and I had a great day yesterday. We drove to Polaris/Gemini north of Columbus and shopped at Von Maur for two hours. Then drove over to the Polaris Grill and had a late lunch. On the trip down we talked non-stop.
In the store we fell into our old routine of shopping a lot in a short period of time. Ruthie asking for my opinion on such things as "would the purple be better or the gray", I bought pajamas for Daniel to wear on Christmas Eve, some stocking stuffers, a pair of sweat pants and a sweater (for the girl whose name I picked off the Angel Tree at Daniel's pre-school) and marveled at Ruthie's purchases. Two pairs of shoes that were knock-out, (one animal print heels, and the other bright red patent flats) an elegant rain coat, two tops, some great Christmas wine glasses and a set of three ceramic Santa's (Ruthie collects Santa's) who depicted (tongue in cheek mind you) "See no evil, hear no evil, and speak no evil". (Hmmmm, what a great concept for the holidays) A couple of other things were thrown in but that about covers it.
Von Maur is our favorite department store. Genteel and refined. A live pianist sits at a baby grand and plays lovely music, the clerks are all from the school of "Miss Manners". For example..when you make a purchase and are standing at the counter. The clerk politely asks if you want your receipt in your hand or in the bag., The bag being a lovely red and white, good quality shopping bag with handles. She not only asks if you want a box (complete with Von Maur printed tissue) but she walks around the counter and hands the bag to you. Sigh, the rest of retail could take notice. Perhaps Nordstrom's does that little perk, but I can't remember.
We talked for the whole trip down, talked through lunch, and talked all the way home. It has only been four months since the death of Ruthie's youngest child, Clifford William, and she still grieves like it was yesterday. North of Mansfield, we were discussing the cemetary and headstone among other aspects of Cliff's life and death when we both exclaimed at the same time "Look at the Rainbow". I turned to Ruthie and said "It's a sign...a sign that Cliff is alright and looking down on you". "Yes it is" said Ruthie. We just looked at each other.

I don't pretend to know what she is going through, and I told her that. I hope that I never know what she is going through. I just know that if she ever needs me, I'll be ready.
We had an absolutely great day.
As we parted she said to me "This is the first day I haven't cried since he died".
Cliff knows.

1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

Oh wow. Ruthie may not have cried but anyone reading this did. Beautiful story, Judy. Nothing like a day with a close girlfriend to take away the boogie man. I'm so glad you two had that day together.