Monday, October 17, 2011

And the winner is.....




...the folks who made the "Venison" chili for the Chilly, Chilly, Chili-Cookoff that was hosted by Sarah and Kevin Saturday, October 15, 2011 at their barn.


My chili was voted No. 2, out of 11.



Was I disappointed...no, not really. My chili was good, especially since it is served over steamy warm and buttery mashed potatoes! Not Cincinnati Chili, but more like "West Side of Cleveland" chili.



I choose not to cook venison anymore. When times were lean, that was the meat on the table. Meatballs, meatloaf, chili, spaghetti sauce, you name it, it was made with venison.


I hated the fact I could not buy beef, or steaks or roasts, even chicken was out of the question one year. (that was the year the dog ate cooked potato skins)



I just can't wrap my brain around sauteing venison. Not in any shape or form. Plus the fact that the latest deer photo on the winner's facebook page showed the six point buck staring back at the camera.



Shudder! I can't do it anymore.



I think next time I'll go for vegetable chunks in a spicy tomato based sauce.

1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

Yours sounds delicious. Venison, even without your history with it, not so much. Too much Bambi. A little kielbasa might be good. xo