Friday, January 14, 2011

The last deed


Yesterday morning, Tim and I went up to the farm to await the arrival of the excavator that would be bringing his equipment to dig a grave for Zana.


As I was waiting in the lounge, Sarah came in to warm up and we sat quietly for a moment before she said "I opened the big arena door and opened the arena gate all the way out into the driveway"...( to allow the equipment operator to have access to the spot where Zana lay covered with a large blue horse cooler, a rectangular soft blanket used to keep horses from cooling down too rapidly after workouts or baths).


"As I walked away, the large gate slammed shut and latched". "She's gone Mom".
I then asked Sarah to do one final deed for me. I always kept a crystal for Zana
I kept it in the horse trailer when we traveled, and placed it discreetly in her stall
when we were at a show. It was clear and reflective, about 1-1/2 inches tear drop
shaped. I asked Sarah to braid it into her forelock so it would always be with her.
Sarah did.

We believe that her soul was waiting for the gate to open to allow her to leave.

Farewell Zana, and God's speed.


1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

I'm so glad you did that. What a wonderful memorial you gave her. You have loved her unconditionally all these years, and she you. What a beautiful farewell.