Monday, June 13, 2011

I visited with him today

Bruce and I drove to Burton to visit Country Club. He moved his ears forward as I called his name. He did not look as bad as I thought he would look. Bruce was surprised as well.
He had to have a "soft" cathetar inserted into the jugular on the left side of his neck...the one on the right side was harder and was holding clots. He was hooked up to three lines, one of pain meds, one of fluids including protein and not sure but I think the third was antibiotic.
Dr. Milligan said "He is still critical". But she said I could brush him if I wanted to. She brought a grooming box into the stall, and I brushed and brushed. All the while whispering to him, telling him that he was a good boy, and letting him know that I was right there if he needed me. More like I needed him. I kissed him and hugged and buried my face in his mane. Some tears managed to pop out but he was such a comfort to me.
Dr. Milligan told us that when he can come home what his care needs to be etc. 30 days of stall rest, 30 days of hand walking and a little grass nibble or two, then a small confined space that he can be turned out loose. After three months he can return to work again.
Such a serious woman, very slender and she has a hand shake that would knock you off your feet if you weren't paying attention. No nonsense, and very thorough and clinical. But, so far she has saved his life and I am grateful.
We are "a long way from Tipperary" but we are taking little baby steps toward recovery.
Country Club, you are a big strong gelding....hurry and get better.

Perhaps a little chicken soup....

1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

Sweet boy. Will pray for God's healing hands.