Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Just another day at the office



That's a saying that my husband Tim uses whenever I ask him "how's the weather out there" (knowing full well that the weather is terrible and that driving a semi in such conditions are treacherous). "It's just another day at the office" says he.

(photo is of a "type" similiar to her trailer, not an actual photo of the trailer)


Well, yesterday turned out to be "just another day at the office" also.


Let me back up a bit...yesterday, Bruce and I drove to Burton to pick up
Country Club and finally, after 10 days, bring him back home.


I have not driven a "big" truck and gooseneck trailer (a six horse head to head) since 1980 something. We had a 42' red Stidham six horse gooseneck and a Chevy Crew Cab one ton "dually" pickup truck. That was a long time ago, and I am so very much older, slower moving and far less confident in any skills that I may have had a long time ago.


Sarah offered the use of their brand new 1 ton crew cab dually, and long, long, long six-horse head to head horse trailer to go pick up Club. She was not able to go, and so she said "you drive and go get him".


The thought terrified me! Yes, it terrified me. I hardly slept worrying about driving that rig safely on I-480, I-271 and then down narrower roads to get to the Equine Specialty Clinic.


I put on my "big girl pants" and started the engine. I slowly pulled out of their driveway, made wide turns and somehow...just like riding a bicycle...it all came rushing back. I can do this, yes I can.


As I was driving down Rt. 422 toward Warren, Ohio I turned to Bruce and said

"You know, years ago I drove a six horse gooseneck trailer and crew cab truck through the Three Sisters Mountains in Wyoming in a snow storm. Snowing so bad that Tim had to keep the window down on the passenger side to see the guard rail." (sounds pretty similiar to the generic "when I was your age son, I walked 10 miles to school in a snow storm....)


"Hello Sarah, I don't know what you were worried about...my driving your new rig...it's just another day at the office!"

1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

Never a doubt in my mind that you could do that. We're better all the time. Glad you were able to bring the boy home.