Saturday, May 21, 2011

And they're off!







Last night, Tim and I went to Northfield Park,to celebrate a 70th birthday of his longtime High School friend Ed. (See photo taken 9/2010 after they had not seen each other for 52 years). There were 12 of us gathered at three tables, midsection on the clubhouse track seating. Drinks and dinner and racing, Oh my!


What a fun night. Of course, where there are horses and gambling, what's not to love.


I was fortunate to pick three winners out of nine races. Small bets, but fun indeed. Ninth race winner was Alhambra Bokay.


We got a card for Ed that went something like this:

"Two guys went out at 10:00 one night.

One drank 6 beers and the other drank 3 beers and two shots of Jack.

Which one got drunk first?"


Trick question: Guys that age aren't out at 10:00 at night!


You got that right! I started yawning promptly at 9:00 and proceeded to yawn with regularity until we left after the ninth race at 10:30. Those of us over 40, 50 or 60 don't stay up late and 10:00 is late to me.


Yikes, what time do they have to start racing when I turn 70 (19 months from now)?

Hmmm, how about right after lunch!


Northfield's theme is "Every 19 minutes.....the place goes crazy!"


Wake up Von Duyke, wake up!

1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

That sounds like a wonderful way to spend the evening. How I love watching the ponies run.