Friday, November 11, 2011

Veteran's Day







I was always able to remember that Veteran's Day came on November 11. The lady that took me in to her home when I was 17 was a retired Army Wac, Women's Army Core. I had never met a woman who had been in the military so I was facinated by the stories that she told about being in World War II. I remember the November 11 date each year because it also was "Neta's" birthday.

(Photos to the right: Nathan at age 2 visiting with Grandma Neta before Sarah was born)



(photo at left is Nathan and "Grandma Neta", she was well into her eighties at this point, and a widow)


Worneta Stringer Koons, my cousin William's wife was born in Union, Maine and lived a very strict life filled with a huge work ethic. She was no nonsense, no emotion demonstrated ever, cynical and matter of fact. She ran her household like the ranking sargent in charge, but she was kind to me. She was a tough bird, but she told you the rules of the house, the rules of acceptable behavior and way things were according to her thinking.




When I arrived home from work, I was expected to do a chore while I was in the process of removing my coat. Like grabbing a kettle from the cupboard and filling it with water to cook noodles in before the coat came off. She was the Queen of multi-task and by golly, you had better toe the line. She had saved me from a life of abuse so I am forever grateful to her.

Everything in her life had a purpose, a time allowed to achieve that task that would achieve her goal and she was neat, neat, neat. She never had children of her own, so I am surprised she took on a head-strong teen aged girl.


I learned a lot from her, some good habits and some habits that drive my family nuts. Now that I am so much older (not wiser) I look around and wonder how people get things done doing them carefully, one thing at a time. I hate wasted time. She ingrained that into me...time is money and you don't waste it. She was the most frugal person I ever met. I think that lesson fell on deaf ears where I was concerned. I made $50 a week at my first real job working at American Greetings (they got me the job, they both worked there too) and I had to put $15 in the savings account, $15 room and board and the rest I could use for my expenses. Gas for my junker car and insurance pretty much used up the rest leaving me with $5. Those were the days!


I heard stories of betrayal and atrocities about her years in the service, the insult and sexual harrassment focused against the WACS. She was in Guam and some other islands and took it and never complained. She never told those stories of the war if she was sober. I don't mean to make her out as a drunk or anything, far from it, but drink they did, that was the social event of the week, going out on Friday or Saturday night. So, if I was around when she was a little tipsy, she sometimes would talk about her years in the service.


She thought it was too expensive to fly or drive up to Ohio for my wedding, so instead we spoke on the phone after the ceremony. After I was married for a short while I got a call from her husband Bill one Saturday morning. "Neta should be arriving at the airport by now, so you better go over and pick her up". Huh, I didn't know she was coming to visit. Her appearances were always like a surprise inspection. I didn't know whether to "fish or cut bait". Tim went to the airport to pick her up, while I raced around the apartment trying to make it ship/shape and spotless. I think I may have hidden dirty dishes in the oven. When she arrived she did her walk through, touching things as she went looking for dirt and dust. I almost passed the inspection until she looked into the oven. I spent years seeking her white glove inspection stamp of approval. The funny thing about that first visit to the newlywed apartment was this...Tim took me aside and said "I don't know what she's got in this suitcase, but it is heavier than Hell"!

Come to find out she had brought her silver dollar collection from home so Bill wouldn't find it and spend it.


She loved to gamble and play bingo, so their retirement move to Florida gave her opportunities to do both.


Veteran's Day means a little something extra for me each. It gives me time to reflect on this woman who reached out to me when I was a teenager and said "If you ever need a place to stay, just call us, we'll be there to get you, no matter what time or when".


She and Bill came to Valley City the year Nathan turned five, to spend Christmas. She, cynic that she was, brought lots of cute, but cheap presents for the kids. She knew full well that my children would just rip and tear open the packages as she had imagined all children did. Well, I still remember this scene in my mind's eye as if it were yesterday. She and Bill were sitting on the sofa and she handed Nathan a present. A small box in a little boy's hands. Nathan touched and fondeled the box, turning it over and over in his hands. "Is this for me Grandma"? he asked.



"Sure, it's your present from me" said she. "Can I open it Grandma"? (she was getting a little uncomfortable by then and was starting to fidget on the couch. "Of course you can open it, it's your Christmas present"! Little Nathan sat on the floor and carefully and slowly took the tape off the paper, opening it up slowly. Inside the box was a little boy's character watch. Nathan just sat there and looked at the watch for a second "Oh Grandma, a watch...just what I always wanted"! and he threw his arms around her neck.


So there Mrs. Cynic!, so there!


Thoughout her entire life, her motto was just like the Army...We will come get you out of the enemy's hands, but we won't show any emotion.

p.s. The $15 room and board that I paid her every week while I lived with them...she gave us a check for all those weeks of board as a wedding gift.

1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

Bless her heart. Thank you for that story -- it adds a whole new dimension to Veteran's Day. What a beautiful message.