Thursday, April 12, 2012

True Confessions

At 2:00 this morning, I celebrated the two week annversary of my heart attack.
That's right, the anniversary.  Two weeks ago at 2:00 a.m. Thursday morning I woke up from a sound sleep feeling chest pressure and heart burn.  I sat up in bed for a few minutes, assessing the situation and decided to get up, go to the bathroom (always an option with me anymore) and then back to bed by way of the hall closet where the over the counter meds are kept.  I took two Rolaids and went back to bed.  No, sleep did not return.  Instead, the chest pressure remained, no worse but certainly no better and then I noticed the heartburn was still there along with some discomfort between my shoulder blades.  Sigh, what next, take a Zantac?  Sure, that will do the trick.....it did not, two more Rolaids, chomp, chomp...lie down and turn on the TV.    Crap, shift my position to get some relief, no dice.

This went on until it was time to get up at 7:00.  Coffee, two or three cups, work on the computer, take the dog out, get the papers, get dressed, putter around, get organized.  Maybe if I lie down on the sofa (by now it was lunch time) and turn the family room TV on, okay that done, still discomfort.  2:00 talked to Sarah, "call the Dr Mom", okay!

Dr.'s office passed me off to the nurse who advised I go to the ER.  Okay then, but first, make out a bank deposit, write some checks out and put in the mail at the post office, stop at the office and then I finally made it to the Urgicare in Brunswick. 

"I think I need an EKG" said I.  The receptionist said "We don't do that here"...just as a nurse walked around the corner ( later I found I was a little pale) and she said "come with me"!

So, I obediently walked "this way" to an exam room where I had an EKG hooked to my body and an IV in my left hand.  The IV was not connected to anything, it was there "just in case".  Thirty minutes of waiting for "just in case" proved to herald the arrival of Three very serious EMT's.  Off to the hospital in the ambulance, sirens wailing and speeding down the road.  Nitro pill under my tongue along with baby aspirin and in between blasts of the siren I answered a staccato of questions passed by me with military stiffness.  The EMT's  were nice but all business.

The arrival at the hospital seemed swift and fortunately Sarah walked into the ER shortly after I arrived.  "What the heck Mom, trying to get out of work?" she joked.

Continued tomorrow......

2 comments:

Jo Ann said...

I read this and get scared all over again. xo

CatWhispurrer said...

OMG Judy, as I read you describing all your symptoms, I had flashbacks to a recent episode of DR OZ outlining all those symptoms specifically for WOMEN of cardiac arrest!! I thank God that you lived to tell us all about it in this blog. And thank you for helping to educate others about how easily a heart attack can disguise itself as heartburn. I know that I will certainly be listening more closely to my body when it repeatedly tries to tell me something serious is wrong, the only way it can!

Sure hope you are feeling better and taking good care of YOU now and ever after.... please!