Tuesday, December 9, 2008


Christmas 2008

Last Friday I was scurrying around trying to get the days’ tasks done. You know, feeding and watering the horses, (breaking the ice in the buckets and filling them with fresh water) taking the dog out for a walk, making sure the barn cat, "Miss Kitty" had food and water all before 9:00 a.m. I had a big day planned and lots of things would come up that were not planned.

My cell phone rang on and off most of the day with people calling to ask about volunteering for the Salvation Army Red Kettle Campaign. I am the coordinator for the volunteers that ring the bell. Our campaign runs from the day before Thanksgiving this year and goes until Christmas Eve, six days a week, 12 hours a day at each of three locations and one location on Saturday only. Kind of hectic and frantic, what with worrying if I can find 36 people a day to ring the bell. This has become such an important part of my life during the Christmas season, that there is not much room left over for a lot of holiday prep for my family or myself. Yet, being a mother and grandmother, I am in that "guilt the gift that keeps on giving" mode (you know your mother gave it to you, and you will give it to your children) approach to the work that needs to be done. You are required to do it all, baking, decorating, shopping, being a realtor and helping to take care of our 3-1/2 year old grandson Daniel when needed. Kind of a nerve-wracking day.

I was a little distracted when I had to leave to drive to Brunswick to pick up Daniel from daycare. I get many calls on my cell phone this time of year and I know it is not the wisest thing to drive and use the phone, but I do use the "speaker option" to make it safer. As I got Daniel settled and strapped into his car seat, my phone rang. Answering a number that I did not recognize, "Hello, this is Judy" a voice timidly asked if this was the right number to call to volunteer to ring the bell. "Yes it is, and thank you for calling". A few questions from the caller determined that this was something she would like to volunteer for and could I schedule her for an hour of ringing.

I had started to drive away from the daycare center when the phone had rung and so I had the caller on speaker. Meanwhile Daniel was in the backseat chattering away and I tried to shush him, "Daniel, Nana is on the phone". To no avail, Daniel kept up his banter saying "Nana, I have to tell you something" "Not now Daniel, Nana is on the phone" "But Nana, I have to tell you something" each time he spoke his voice was a little louder. I turned my head and after covering the phone speaker said in a loud voice, "not now Daniel, I am on the phone, and if you don’t be quiet, there will be no surprise for you when you get to Nana’s house"

Why do children wait to have a conversation with you when the phone rings? Daniel’s voice got louder, My voice got louder. I finally had to end the phone conversation abruptly apologizing saying I would call back when I reached my home office.

"Daniel, what was so important that you could not wait to tell me until I got off of the phone?"

"Nana, I wanted to tell you something" "Nana, I love you!"

His words took my breath away. Gone was the feeling of pressure and anxiety. I was humbled by the words spoken by this sweet innocent child.

"I love you too Daniel".
What more can I say. Isn’t this what the Christmas season is all about!
Merry Christmas to you and yours!

No comments: