Thursday, December 25, 2008

While I in my kerchief and Pa in his hat had just settled down for a what?


Yeh, right! No nap in my future. Dinner is at 5:30, boneless prime rib, yorkshire pudding and all the trimmings including a chocolate Birthday Cake for the Christ Child's birthday.
Hours and hours and hours of preparation, gone in a twinkling of the Old Gentleman's eye. A whirlwind of crushed colored paper, tags and ribbons galore, the smiles, the laughter and a whole lot more. Whew, where did the time fly to?
I love Christmas, don't get me wrong, but by and large, it leaves me frazzled and ready to sleep for a day. Last night when I dragged myself off to my new Memory Foam (now where did I put my PJ's) mattress pad, I barely hit the foam before I nodded off to sleep. Can't even remember turning off the tree or the lights, or the TV (or not, as they were still on this a.m.).
At least the sun shone a little bit today so horses could go out and play. Carrots for them tonight, and last night it was peppermint treats while they waited for the soft sound of reindeer (or alpacas as they both sound alike) as they flew up in the sky.
When I took my clothes off last night to ready myself for bed, and believe me it was not a glamour routine, I noticed something remarkable. I glanced at myself in the mirror of the bathroom (hard not to notice yourself when the mirror takes up the wall practically floor to ceiling) and guess what I found missing! "No Wonder Woman Tee Shirt!" I must be getting older and slower, and less picky about the traditions and details. I can't do it all anymore, and guess what else I learned. I don't care!
It's about the family, the smiles, the laughter and love, not about which napkins I used last year and will anyone notice if they are paper or not.
Christmas is love. That's all there is to it. And if it means paper napkins versus cloth, so be it!
Merry Christmas!

No comments: