Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Task is to Ask!


Throughout my years as a member of the Women's Council of Realtors, I learned a very important lesson for life....The Task is to Ask!

As coordinator for the Salvation Army Kettle campaign, I also took on another task, that of obtaining 100 to 125 Christmas Stockings and all of the items that are needed to fill them for kids.

Over the past 4 years that I have been doing "find and fill stockings" the response to my "Asking" has been overwhelming. But this year tops the charts! Yesterday a huge box of small trinkets and toys arrived from a friend's purchase through the Oriental Trading Company. A banker friend of mine called and volunteered to purchase the 125 stockings to fill. This morning, a person from another organization that I belong to brought 8 boxes of coloring books, crayons, little kids trinkets, and 100 beany babies. Last week realtor friends brought 125 stuffed animals, 100 or more pounds (yes, I said pounds) of candy, coloring books, crayons, and yesterday a little red wagon appeared. Even my Jewish friend did a whirlwind tour of the candy department at Walmart on the East side of Cleveland, buying candy canes and miniature chocolate bars.

The 4H club that I used to advise in the 70's is now headed by one of my former 4Her's and they sent 125 extra large size candy bars. I made a request for 125 apples to be donated by the produce department at Buehler's in Brunswick, and was advised that I had 8 other donation requests ahead of me. Sigh! Not much hope was given for my #9 request.

The list goes on. Each time a candy cane or toy is brought into my office, I am humbled again by the generosity of my friends and affiliates. The word "overwhelmed" is becoming pale to describe my faith in mankind. What greater joy could I have at this giving and blessed time of year?

Oh, and by the way.....the produce manager called me at 1:00 yesterday afternoon. "Judy, this is Joanne at Buehlers, I wanted to talk to you about your request". "Yes, Joanne, I know that we were way down the list, so I understand if you can't help out". "That's why I called....we put you up at the top of the list. We love the Salvation Army, and you can come and get your apples for the stocking on the 16th".

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!

No comments: