Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Can't get it out of my mind


Review Summary
In a refreshingly direct, unassuming manner, “Away From Her” considers two great human mysteries: the persistence of love and the workings of the brain. It takes the twilight of a long, mostly happy marriage as a vantage point from which to look back at youth and forward into the waiting darkness. The first feature written and directed by Sarah Polley, one of the most interesting actresses to come out of Canada in the past decade, the film turns sharp and somber, alive to the lacerations of ordinary experience and quietly attentive to grand absurdities and small instances of grace. “A little bit of grace” is what Fiona, a slender and elegant woman with Alzheimer’s disease, counsels in response to its ravages. And grace is what Julie Christie, who plays Fiona, manifests in every scene, even as Fiona feels the tissue of her self begin to crumble and fade. — A. O. Scott, The New York Times
This is the movie that I watched last evening (without falling asleep on the sofa, as I am prone to do after 9:00 in the evening). Outstanding performance by Julie Christie. So soulful and poignant.
I dreamed about the movie last night and awakened several times feeling that I was "in" the movie, and that it was my reality.
My greatest fear is, as my friend Linda White says, "outliving my usefulness". Until last night I really did not ever feel that way. What if I am a victim of Alzheimer's disease? I cannot even imagine!
Will I be gracious or vicious?
Where will I go, and what will it mean to my family?
I don't know, but it is certainly playing on my mind today.
If you get a chance and are so inclined, watch the movie.

1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

Alzheimer's is such a thief. Taking our memories, friends, even family away in its wake. But jeez Jude, as OLD as you are, don't you think you'd have it by now if you were going to get it?

By the way, Sarah Polley is a wonderful actress, and if you haven't seen her in "The Weight of Water" it's worth a trip to the library.