Monday, October 5, 2009

Soon to be the end of an era!

Above, Storm Cat's barn with the life sized statue of him standing in the grass. Most bronze statues are on a "pedestal". Mrs Young said, "no, horses stand on grass, not pedestals" So the "Cat" bronze was mounted on ribar, and anchored in the ground, so his feet "could touch the grass".











Overbrook Farm, a legend will disappear....
































Mr. W.T.Young and his daughter accepting a trophyCenter and right (Above: the legendary 27 year old Thoroughbred Stallion "Storm Cat" who earned $20 million a year in stud fees for the farm.






The farm is closing, and horses are dispersed with the exception of a few wealings who are consigned to the Keeneland Sale in November. Many sired by the above living legend, "Storm Cat".




It was my privelege and bittersweet pleasure to meet my new friend, Beth Meredith on a gloomy and rainy day last week in Lexington at the farm. Beth has worked there for more than two decades, and looked upon Mr. Young as a "father" figure. She gave me the private tour, even though many of the farm roads were underwater from the heavy rainfall. I stood outside the car and looked in every direction.....and all I could see to the horizon was dark painted four board fencing, green manicured pastures, grass and graceful hills all the way to the horizon.




What a beautiful and sad sight all at the same time. Mr. Young is gone, and the next generation is not interested in pursuing Mr. Young's dream.




Beth snapped my photo in front of the trophy case housing "Grindstone's" Kentucky Derby winning blanket of freeze dried roses, and his horsehoes, mounted on the case. The trophies are in every room, hundreds of them. Too many to count, much less catalogue.




Beth is the wonderful friend that I made when I visited Kentucky, at this farm to be exact, at the end of February, 2008. Driving from home to Versailles, Ky, in the worst snow storm and snow accumulation that I had remembered in awhile. Beth was the foster Mom to my new collie, Toby. She has fostered many collies in the past and Toby was one of her favorites.




We have corresponded by email ever since, and of course Toby's progress in the family was photographed and emailed to Beth every couple of months.




Since I was going to be in Lexington, for the Sport Horse Nationals with Sarah, I took the opportunity to spend a couple of hours with Beth.




I can't tell you how much that visit meant to me. A dynasty closing is very, very sad.


The stallions are all gone except a couple of teaser stallions, and "Cat" himself. His caregiver for the last 10 years, Wes, brought him in from the pasture and paused so I could take photos and get an "up close and personal" look. He is magnificent. Even at 27, he gave me chills.




There is a full size bronze statue, true in every detail of him in the grassy entry to his stallion complex. For insurance purposes, and to appraise value, a stallion's worth is two breeding years. So I was fortunate to see in real life, a $40 million dollar horse.




I shed a few tears during my tour with Beth, knowing that this was to be no more. Perhaps some rich person will take up the torch of Overbrook Farm, and keep it in all its glory.




If not, I choose not to think what will happen to the 1600 acres of Kentucky Bluegrass, home to the "Kings of the Sport"!




Not good bye for Storm Cat, as he will ultimately take up residence in the Kentucky Horse Park, Hall of Champions. Perhaps I can see him one more time before he leaves his beloved bluegrass.

1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

Wonderful story. I'm glad you got the tour.

I didn't know about Storm Cat, but used to visit the Man O' War statue and gravesite quite often before it went to Kentucky Horse Park. Seems to me the statue was on the original Riddle property.

There was a pretty sign alongside the huge statue, telling about the horse, and there was a poem that I committed to memory as a girl, and can still recite:

A colt is born at midnight
and in the frosty morn
The horseman eyes him fondly
And a secret hope is born

But breathe it not nor whisper
for fear of neighbor's scorn.
He's a chestnut colt
and he's got a star
He may be another
Man O War.