Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Christmas socks


I just finished putting away a basket full of clean and folded clothes.
What better to do today with the temp hovering in the sub zero area than to catch up on the laundry that was still in the very depths of the laundry room hamper.
Anyway, I had to smile and fondle the pair of Christmas socks that I put away into Tim's sock drawer.
I remember when I purchased this particular pair of socks. It was just before Christmas 1970. Yes, 38 years ago! I purchased them and carefully wrapped them and wrote out a gift tag that said: "Merry Christmas Daddy, Christmas #1" It was our son Nathan's first Christmas and I wanted Daddy to open a present from his new little boy, Nathan was born on October 13, 1970.
(that is how I remember the year that I purchased the socks)
This year was the 38th time that they had come out of the sock drawer, spent Christmas Day on Tim's feet, and then laundered, dried, folded and put away again for the next Christmas to come.
Ah!...what a sweet memory!
So, if you happen to see my husband on Christmas Day, 2009, say hello to the socks!

2 comments:

karen said...

It's amazing that in 38 years; one sock hasn't gone missing!!
Great post!

Jo Ann said...

Mike has a pair of Christmas socks too -- not quite as old as Tim's, but "up there" just the same. Isn't it wonderful how much we enjoy seeing those socks on their feet one day a year?