Sunday, January 18, 2009

The riding lesson.....

Many years ago, when I was in my thirties, I was so involved in horses that it was almost scary. I seemed to eat, sleep, live and breathe horses, including the ones that I owned at home and the horses that I had with a trainer.


Long story short, my days were filled with activity revolving around my two children, my husband, my mini-horse farm and my grocery store. Not enough hours in the day to get everything done, so sometimes, when I fell into bed at night the process was unceremonial to say the least.

Strip off my clothes, let them lay beside the bed and fall into bed exhausted. Said day in time was no different than any other. Get up, get the kids up, dressed, fed and off to school, pull on some clothes, go to the barn and feed the horses, come in feed the dogs, pick up the breakfast dishes and head over to the trainer's barn.


I was going to ride a horse that day and take a lesson on my own horse who was currently in training for the show ring. If I ever was going to ride this particular mount in the show ring, I needed many hours of riding her. The trainer, although an adequate horseperson, was no genius in the art of equitation (little did I know then that my training dollars were blown up his nose, but that is another story). Anyway, I was riding along, posting the trot (see "english equitation, saddleseat" on google) concentrating to beat the band. Trying to stay with the horses' gait and not fall off into the tanbark, when the trainer stopped me. "Whoa" said he. "Why" said I. "You're losing something"!

"What"????? Losing something indeed. A mild description of the "new look" that I was sporting.
As I looked down on either side of my body, my eyes followed the leg of my jeans on the left side. Lo and behold, a pair of black underpants were peeking out of the cuff of my jean leg, dangling dangerously off the toe of my boot! Yikes!

Next time I jump out of bed and pull my clothes on, (the ones that I let lay at the bedside from the night before) I must look to see if my underwear is still in the leg of my jeans!

How can I top an act like that!

No comments: